Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Alumni Update: Youngmee Hahn

Youngmee Hahn: 2005-2006

After finishing my 2005-2006 year at the American Home, I finished a semester of student teaching and got certified to teach German. I worked as a 7th grade German teacher for 6 months, during which I got to know the speech-language pathologist at my school and decided I was more interested in speech-language therapy than in being a classroom teacher. In 2008 I started the master's program in speech-language pathology at Syracuse University. I just graduated in December 2010, and since January I've been working as a long-term substitute at a K-8 school in the Syracuse City School District for a speech-language pathologist who's out for a few months on medical leave.

Right now I'm enjoying having the opportunity to work as an independent clinician for the first time. I'm interested in issues of multilingualism and cultural and linguistic diversity as they relate to language development and language disorders, and eventually I hope to find a job doing therapy with bilingual children/adults. Part of me will always miss Vladimir, and I know that if I hadn't spent that year helping American Home students acquire a foreign language, I wouldn't be doing the work that I'm doing now!

No comments:

Post a Comment